Join Salal + Cedar for a time of walking, prayer and contemplation where we connect the Christian story in the time between death and resurrection with the environmental destruction we see around us.
We will meet at the parking area on Centennial Way (the road to Horizons restaurant) where the encampment was centred. We will begin and end with prayer together as a whole group. Some of us will walk a loop of not quite 4km on trails in the park. (Total walking time is 60-70 minutes.)
- Trans Canada Trail (or Nature Trail)
- West Burnwood Trail North
- Ridgeview Trail East
- Gnome’s Home North-East
- Pandora Trail South East
- Centennial Way South back to the parking area
The total estimated time is 2-2.5 hrs.
We will stop at 3-5 stations along the way to focus on different climate justice issues (murder of indigenous environmentalists, species extinction, pipeline projects). Salal + Cedar, Earth Keepers and others will host/curate each station. But please bring poetry, song or prayers that express your sorrow or outrage over harm to creation and your call to resistance.
- We strive to be accessible to all ages, all bodies, all genders.
- Those who will not walk the trails can travel slowly on the road (Centennial Way) and open fields to meet the group at the top of Pandora Trail.
- Wear good shoes and dress for the weather. The Nature trail and Gnome’s home are winding and narrow, wet in places and include boardwalks. The other trails are broad, smooth and gravelled but involve a significant incline 10-20%.
- There are public washrooms near Horizon’s Restaurant. (accessibility info pending).
- There is a playground nearby.
- There will be two vans travelling from East Vancouver and the #135 stops on Burnaby Mtn. Parkway near Centennial. A 10-12 minute walk uphill to our meeting place.
If you have trouble finding the group text 778 885-9453